Tuesday, January 21, 2014

My Top 8 to Eat in Amsterdam

For those who know me, it comes as no surprise that I ate as much as possible during my travels. I always made sure to do my research and choose the dishes that were most authentic to the place -- but sometimes cheated with some comfort food.

In just the four days we spent in Amsterdam, we sampled a little bit of everything in Dutch (well, Amsterdam dutch) cuisine. Here are the top things I recommend you try during your visit:


CHEESE
The dutch are known for their cheese and it's everywhere. We ventured into a cheese museum in downtown Amsterdam and got to sample plenty of different types of homemade cheeses. Gouda, goat, truffle oil, young, old and so many more.

Whether you go to this specific store or any others, I'm sure you'll find something to take home (these were specifically sealed to be airplane-travel approved). Also, if you need a little snack from walking up and down the beautiful canals, you can fill up on some cheese samples ;)

NACHO'S at HARLEM
I would be lying if I said we chose this restaurant for any other reason than it was directly across the street from our Hostel and we were all a little hangry from a long day of class/traveling.

Yeah, so this restaurant says it's a southern / soul food restaurant. Being from the south, I'm going to strongly argue with that claim and just label this dive a bar with THE most outstanding nachos I've ever eatien

BAM.
VISIT A DELI
Our second day in the city, we wandered into a small deli looking for a cheap, more authentic meal. We filed in line with other locals as they made their sandwich choices. Luckily, there were some attractive Dutch boys waiting in front of us that spoke english, so we asked what they would recommend and how we should order.


When you get to the counter, you simply tell the worker which kind of bread you would like and choose your toppings. They can go ahead and assembly your sandwich for you, or you can buy everything a la carte. At this deli, I chose a crab salad and a few ounces of "young" cheese. Other people in my group opted for salami and cheese. This lunch cost us less than 5 euro.

PANCAKES
These aren't your IHOP or Bisquick pancakes. They're so, so much better and I love that the dutch consider them a dinner. The most popular is the bacon and apple pancake, and we grabbed them at the place that claims to have "the best pancakes in town!"



With a sprinkle of powdered sugar and a drizzle of syrup, they're perfect.

(Try also these: poffertjes.)



STROOPWAFELS

Again, NOT Waffle House. These are small, crunchy cookie-like waffles that are soaked in syrup. They're sold in grocery stores and at various store counters.

Or, at this market we found in Volendam.



POMMES FRITES
French fries are not just for the french. These fry stands are perfect for a late night snack after you've been out on the town. I was overwhelmed by the choice of sauces. Each stand has around 30 different sauces to choose from, so PLEASE don't get ketchup! My recommendation: garlic aioli.

HAGELSLAG
I thought my friend Ellen was crazy when she told me to sprinkle some of the "chocolate sprinkles" on my toast. Boy, was I wrong. This is delicious.


For more information, please see this "Stuff Dutch People Like" blog post.

BEER

No secret here, Meredith loves beer. And I try to drink locally when I travel -- it's part of the experience, right?


This windmill brewery is legit. Visit Brouwerij't IJ for some authentic local beer and people.
What'd I miss? More importantly, what do I need to eat when I go back?

You can see more pictures from my weekend in Amsterdam here and read about the full experience here.

No comments:

Post a Comment