Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Meredith's Menu: Mother's Day Brunch 2013

I was lucky to yet again, spend another Mother's Day with my very own. This time I made it a long weekend and headed back home to Lake Norman for the first time in months.

When my mother and I get together...we feast. I'm notorious for planning every meal and making sure we're treating ourselves to mouth-watering food all weekend. We kicked off the weekend with a tunatini at Eez Fushion and Sushi.

This appetizer is something I crave quite often. Sushi grade tuna and chunks of avocado, covered in an orange ginger dressing and, of course, served in a martini glass for diva flair (also, for the name - tuna mug didn't have the same ring to it). We followed that by splitting a few rolls of sushi, as always.

But, as a lover of holidays and any reason for a celebration, making Mother's Day brunch was my favorite of the weekend.


If you want to really win Mom over, meet her in bed with a mimosa like I did. We sipped on champagne and orange juice and chatted over the Today Show. We eventually rolled out of bed and brewed some fresh coffee (see below for picture of my rockstar Mom) before I began cooking.

Vintage 'Mother' mug and fake vintage Van Halen sweatshirt.
I found this Asparagus scrambled egg recipe on The Daily Meal and it was such a simple way to liven up boring scrambled eggs.


After washing the asparagus, cutting off the tough ends and snapping into one-inch pieces, heat some butter in the pan (around 2 tbsp, but there's no such thing as too much!) and start cooking the asparagus.  I opted to leave out the garlic this time, but added some salt/pepper as I stirred it with my spatula. When the pieces look tender, take them out of the pan and into a bowl off to the side. In the same pan, start cooking scrambled eggs as normal.

Before they 'set,' (meaning, they're not completely solid) fold in the asparagus. Continuing cooking and folding until the eggs have reached your desired consistency.


We served the eggs with fresh fruit, toast and fingerling potatoes. The potatoes were actually leftovers from a previous dinner, and can be bought in the frozen section. All you have to do is steam them in the bag and you have an impressive (and delish!) side dish.

Dinner is whole other story and menu. My brother and I made eggplant parmesan with homemade tomato sauce and hand-grated parmesan cheese, a strawberry/goat cheese salad and cheesecake with blackberry reduction.

We also snacked on a cheese plate as we cooked. (Plus, marinated artichokes, prosciutto-wrapped melons and olives.

Much love to my super-cheesy family. 


Why not repurpose this brunch for Father's Day? If Dad likes to eat, he'll love this meal just as much. Let me know what you think: @meredithalmond



No comments:

Post a Comment