Friday, June 21, 2013

Carolina to Catalonia: Taking off and being brave.

June 21. The first day of summer.

It's also the first day that I'm setting out alone on a European adventure by a leap of faith. I've been talking about this trip for years; especially since we visited my older brother, Tanner, abroad in Madrid in 2007. I've always had the travel bug (thanks to my Aunt Tam). I found the airport exciting. Could navigate my way around any new place by landmarks alone. Have led the way through both French and Spanish metro lines without blinking. Traveled around the world on a month-long trip to Australia when I was just 15.

Today, however, felt different. In the past week, I've not only left a job that I loved to try new things, but I also moved out of the apartment that felt like home for the past 2 years.

And for the first time, I'm traveling solo to a foreign country with no one to hold my hand, help me with my suitcase (which I managed to top at *only* 43 pounds! High five.), or make sure I don't drool too much when I fall asleep in my seat.

I can honestly say that I've never been nervous for a trip before this one.

So, what's keeping me going? A few things.

For one, my family (+ Zack) constantly telling me how proud they are of me and reminding me to seize every moment of this once-in-a-lifetime experience. They make me feel like I can take on the world...literally. Love and support from people you love and respect carries you far.

The next is a book I just got as an early 21st birthday gift.
No, not a book full of cocktail recipes (though, that would be nice...*hint*hint*). Sheryl Sandberg, chief operating officer at Facebook, recently wrote a book entitled Lean In. In the book that she argues isn't a memoir, self-help book, or a feminist manifesto, Sandberg tackles the obstacles women face in the workplace every day and walks the reader through shocking statistics, her own mistakes and what it means to be a woman in high standing. Being the ambitious woman I am myself, Sandberg's words resonate with me page after page and, believe me, I am taking notes.

It's Sandberg's constant push for confidence in women to take risks and the book's first chapter titled "The Leadership Ambition Gap: What would you do if you weren't afraid?" What would I do if I wasn't afraid? Why, I think i might just board a plane to Europe for 7 weeks.

You're probably going to laugh at this last one, but it works. It also shows how much I love catchy music and singing at the top of my lungs.

Hey, if Sara wants me to be brave, that's what I'm going to do.

---

Despite being nervous, I'm so ready for this adventure to start. During my trip, I'll be primarily living with a family in Barcelona and going to classes, but, I have a list of other destinations that are calling my name. I'll be traveling to Girona & the South of France, Costa Brava, Figueres, Sitges, Frankfurt, Munich, Heidelburg, Venice, Innsbruck and Lucerne. I hope to document as much as I can through this blog, so stay tuned!

And THANK YOU to everyone who helped make my dream trip become a reality.

Now, I'm going back to watching 30 Rock and New Girl on US Aiways' in-flight entertainment. Livin' the dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment