Friday, July 26, 2013

Tucked away: The Sweetest Thing in Dublin, Ireland

In addition to talking about (almost) everything I get the chance to do abroad, I also want to highlight little places that took me by surprise and stood out to me. I'm calling these places "tucked away" not for their location, but for the fact that they might not come up first on TripAdvisor or be in the middle of tourist central. 

I ordered their famous hot chocolate. It was creamy and oh-so-delicious.
In Dublin, my "tucked away" moment was a chocolatey lunchsnack (Merriam-Webster, it's about time this is an actual word) at the Sweetest Thing chocolate cafe. The cafe was mentioned briefly in my roundup about my weekend in Dublin, but now it deserves its own post.

The cafe isn't hard to find, if you're looking. It's located right along the River Liffey on the North Side on Bachelor's Walk and if you sit at the tables right outside the door like we did, you get beautiful views of the river.

The inside of the shop is adorable. Black and white checkered tile, red walls and brick accents, you know you've found the Mom-n-Pop store you wanted. We even ran into a couple enjoy their chocolate snacks that said they've been coming every Sunday afternoon for a long time*.


Plus, all the Coca-Cola decorations give it a homey feeling. 


Overwhelmed with a long mouthwatering menu of chocolatey possibilities, we finally settled. Lauren started eating hers before I could get a picture to truly capture its brilliance. She ordered a hot chocolate brownie - there was hot fudge seeping out of the porous cake (think Chili's molten lava cake x 10). Andrea chose a banana split which trumped all banana splits I'd seen before. I settled with their famous hot chocolate but, since I was nodding off from a long weekend, talked the barista into adding a shot of expresso for free.
Before & after, from left to right: hot chocolate brownie, hot chocolate & banana split. 
We don't like chocolate. At all. Can you tell?

If you have a sweet tooth as big as mine and are in Dublin, don't miss this little gem. The Sweetest Thing might be a little bit 'tucked away' but their chocolate is something great.

Also, if you didn't catch on, the cafe is named after U2's hit "The Sweetest Thing." I told you the Irish love to incorporate their rockstars whenever possible!




*Meredith's memory is slowly getting worse and therefore she loses details easily like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment